Saturday, August 28, 2004

 
MTV Music Awards Weekend

Also known as the weekend I officially learned I am now OLD!

A big deal was made about the 2004 MTV Music Awards in Miami. A hype machine like MTV needs no assistance, but still it got plenty. From the National and Local Media.
The entire weekend was crammed with parties, just as Miami Beach was crowded with revelers delighting in these parties.

The center of festivities on this particular evening seemed to be the club MANSION of which I have written before: See Blog 4/7/2004. As usual the entrance to the club was packed with even normally VIP customers hanging around out front trying to hustle their way in and "the other sheep in the flock" were just hopelessly waiting in line! There was no way I was getting anywhere near that scene. Well not unless like the last time I spotted a back or side entrance door unsecure! Still with my clamdigger shorts and flip flops, among the fashionably hip, I think that I might have stuck out a little!

Turns out I didnt miss too much, as my investigation revealed a large collection of wanna-bes, and paparazzi gathered in the back alley behind the club at a normally non-descript exit door. Only the presence of police barracades this time hinted that something else might be going on.

Suddenly a the swarm of people came to life, a buzzing and swirling calderon of activity marked the pending departure of one of the MTV coveted stars from the club.
I decided to put my mocking "the flock" aside for a bit and pressed in further to get a glimpse of what had the gaggle gobbling. What I saw was a couple of large black men, yelling and pushing the crowd back so another couple of black dudes, and ladies could get into a limo. Girls were screaming, flashes going off, people yelling. It was definately some sort of celeberty. Of course since I am no longer an avid MTV watcher, I had no idea about what everyone was yealling about.

I asked one of the onlookers there near me, who that was. "Usher" her and her girlfriends yelled in unison. "Whoa boy" I joked "If people making this kind of fuss over just the Usher imagine when an actual celebrity comes out?" This subtle play on words was completely lost on these girls. "Usher" one of these girls repeated. And I guess the next unintelligent ramblings to come out of their mouths were the lyrics to one of Ushers songs. Hoping that it would jog my memory I guess. I just shook my head, "uhhh I was just kidding you know, trying to be funny". Thats when it dawned on me. I am old and out of touch. To me Usher is just the guy in the movie theater that takes the ticket and tells me "last door on the right" or something.

A few minutes later the commotion of the crowd announced another celeberty departure. Again to me it was just a few black dudes pushing people aside so this other black dude (with nice cornrows, I may add) to get into another limo. I asked a different consortium of ladies who that was. I was again reminded in that snooty, teen age girl, -dont you know anything- tone of voice, "Xhibit!"

Yeah whats there left to say. I wanted to add a letter to the end of his name, "exhibit A" but I knew that my wit would be wasted on the young and awestruck.
Suffice it to say it just made me feel REAL OLD. I mean I thought I was old in the Nineties when the techno music started to take over, now I must be Ancient. An Ancient Greek in South Beach. Yeah then people WONDER WHY I would prefer to spend a weekend evening with the FISHES!


DISCUSS THIS STORY IN Greggys Forum



><><><><><

GET THE WINNERS, Get the EDGE!
www.theNFLedge.com

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?